Saturday, April 30, 2016

Papabear Frazer's Creations


Second post for the site things are starting to roll.


I awoke this morning like I do every morning stood on the front step and watched as the sun moved across my yard.  And I have an awesome yard for a Garden but the problem I have is it's a rental and the land owner would not be very happy me digging her yard up.  So I have determined that about 20 or so 5 gallon buckets if set up right could supply us with a good amount of veggies.

Now my idea is as follows after watching numerous videos and after much research, I have determined that a square foot gardening system is the way to go which I can implement with the five gallon buckets.  Now the ideal part of this is the buckets are moveable and can be transported without disturbing the plants.  Another plus to this is when you know you have a stable location this system can be easily converted over to a rain gutter self watering grow system.  Which I shall explain here shortly,

I know people who work in convenience stores and it is very easy to get good 5 gallon buckets.  Now you only want ones that have been used for food if there were chemicals in them there's a chance of contamination.  Now with just a 8 to 12 foot length of raingutter figuring about 2 foot per bucket you can get quite a few buckets set up and a small area.  By cutting a hole in the bottom for a filter cup to fit into so it sticks out under the bucket you now have a wick fed planter place some weed felt inside the cup to keep the dirt out.  And just line your buckets in a straight line with all of their wicks sitting in the rain gutter.  Now this rain gutter if you have a water tank or collected water can be set up for auto feeding.   A float valve mounted where the water goes into the rain gutter and you have a self watering system.  Easy peasy!

I know that just a quick explanation and images help wonders I will be working on it soon right now I am just starting some seeds for the up coming grow.  still 2-3 before we can start planting here in Maine but I can start the babies.  I will be posting a blog later on about how I go about the seed starting and getting them ready for the move outside so keep an eye out for it.  join the new letters and you'll be emailed when it's posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment